I’ll go with list format for this year’s 1st Impressions. No time to ‘write proper’.
SATURDAY 7th SEPTEMBER 2019:
- Anxious wait for the weekend postman, then a savage exultant feeling. ‘He’s delivered all right!’
- I’m at work. All day. It’s busy. Which is good. I snatch occasional reads of forums, and comments on this blog. Why is life so unfair?
- Weekend PES releases are NOT good.
- Just about every online retailer’s customers are also receiving the game today. Simply Games is still a great service and I’m a spoilt brat of a First World child for complaining. But without their usual day-earlier-than-anybody-else bonus, it’s back to the cheaper ShopTo next year for me.
- Nighttime playing a new PES? No, I don’t like this at all.
- Straight to patch 1.02. I considered mucking around with internet connections and staying on vanilla. But I prefer the less complicated life.
- First match – of course – my traditional England vs Scotland. Youngsters today don’t know how big a deal this was in the 1980s and before. Oldest International in the world. And most importantly, my annual orientation point for every new PES.
- Regular difficulty for game 1. Everything out of the box. PA1, Basic Shooting.
- Worried as I’d spent all Saturday reading about game speed and seeing videos where the ball staggeringly moves along at a billion mph or so.
- So I was braced for an unpleasant shock… which didn’t come. Speed to me seemed the same as the demo.
- NB: I only played the demo for about 2 hours all told, spread thinly across several weeks. Half of that was messing about with PA0 on the PC demo just this past week. So I’m not the best person to judge this.
- Passing and shooting, lovely. Context and stats based. Shooting is very PES2011-like, in that it’s very sensitive to button pressure – but also has contextual weight and oomph in a very pleasant and peculiar way.
- I sent so many long- and mid-range attempts high, wide, and not very handsome. In all recent PES games those shots would have been contenders.
- My first goal came in Game 1 soon enough: an attempted R2 placer from Barkley got a weird tip onto the bar from the keeper, then the post, and fell to Kane, who ‘knuckled’ it in?
My second goal was in the second half:
- Neither anything truly special, but I don’t ever remember scoring a special one in my first session, so that’s fine.
- I’m sure the great goals will come. Some of the things that can happen are truly amazing.
- FOULS – I got 0 in match 1. Moved to Top Player for Match 2, when I got 1. And 0 again in match 3. NOT happy with what seems to be a straightforward reversion to type for nuPES. Funny thing is that I’d take PES2019 levels of fouls now – about 1.25 per match would be an improvement. Left a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth, this, as it enables a button-mashy thoughtless defending that the demo was at pains NOT to allow.
- But I’m going to wait and see before losing my shit over this one.
- I spent a very enjoyable 15 minutes in Training, trying to score a long-ranger with England versus Neuer – and failing. I enjoyed a mess around with manual here too.
- OVERALL feeling, positive, but with this being a weekend release (effectively that’s what it is) my usual PES routines are disrupted and it’ll be Monday before I get a proper in-depth hands-on.